TALOS Lightning Detector for Boats & Water Craft
Finally getting some time out on your boat, jet ski, or kayak? Set sail and leave your worries behind knowing the TALOS lightning detector is on hand tracking when potential dangerous lightning is in the area.
Lightning can strike up to 25 miles away from a storm. If your boat or water craft is the only one in the vicinity when lightning strikes, the odds of being struck go way up. Most strikes occur between noon and 6 pm. Keeping the TALOS® lightning detector on board, will keep you aware when lightning is in the area.
- Alerts up to 25 mile range
- The BRIGHTEST visual alerts: 3 colors to indicate distance of approaching or departing storms
- Green: 25 miles
- Blue: 16 miles
- Red: 6 miles
- The LOUDEST audible alerts
- 1 beep for Green: 25 miles
- 2 beeps for Blue: 16 miles
- 3 beeps for Red: 6 miles
- Compact design
- Auto sleep functionality**
- 1 year battery life (*based on average usage)
- Antenna auto tuning – increases efficiency
- Same technology as used in expensive weather stations
- Battery powered: requires 4 AA batteries (lithium recommended)
- **When the unit is first turned on, the unit is in “Normal Mode” and will actively listen for lightning/storm activity. Pressing the ON button a second time puts the unit into the auto-sleep mode. In this mode, the detector will sleep until motion is detected, then it will turn on. If no motion is detected for 30 minutes, the unit goes back to sleep.
- Early warning alerts
- Provides distance estimation of storm
- Antenna audio tuning – increases efficiency
- Easy to mount
- Easy to detach
What’s Included in the Box:
- TALOS Lightning Detection Device
- Mounting Base
- User Guide
How it Works
When lightning is first detected (up to 25 miles), the detector will flash all 8 LEDs for 5 minutes. To save battery life, after 5 minutes of lightning detection, the detector switches to blinking every other LED for the remaining time that lightning is detected (red, blue, or green depending on distance of lightning).
Where to Mount Lightning Detector
The lightning detector detects low-level signals from lightning and must be mounted a minimum of 3 feet away from cell phones, wearables, or any other devices emitting electrical noise. If the detector goes through a sequence of all colors, this indicates that it is detecting electrical noise.
Battery Instructions & Installation
It is necessary to replace batteries as soon as the lightning detector indicates the batteries are almost dead. The detector will beep and flash the LED twice indicating that batteries need to be replaced. This alert is given every 10 seconds. If you are not using the lightning detector, make sure you remove the batteries prior to storing the detector.
At TALOS, Engineering Drives Best-in-Class Quality
Our mission is to provide families with quality products that promote safety and awareness while enjoying leisure activities together. Our patent pending products feature the same technology used in expensive weather stations, but at a fraction of the price.SHOP NOW
Latest News from TALOS
TALOS®️ is driven to provide you with the best quality products at the most affordable prices.